AdSense is an advertising scheme run by Google, where you place adverts on your website and in return Google pays you a percentage of the money they have earned from the person placing the advert when the advert is clicked on.
The amount you will earn when the advert is clicked on will vary depending on how much the person placing the advert is paying to Google. The amount you earn will also depend on how much traffic your site generates resulting in more or less clicks on the adverts.
To sign up for Google AdSense follow the instructions below:
- Go to https://www.google.com/adsense
- Click "Sign Up Now" in the top right hand corner.
- Select the Google Account you'd like to use with Adsense.
- Enter the URL of the website you'd like to include Adsense on.
- Select the language of your website.
- Read the Google Adsense program policies and tick the box to confirm you agree.
- Enter your contact and payment details in the Adsense application form and click "Submit my application".
- Once you have decided on the format and look of Adsense ads on your site, you'll be provided with a block of HTML code.
- Copy this code.
To add the Google AdSense HTML code to your website follow the instructions below:
- Log in to your Create account.
- Click "Content" on the left hand menu.
- On the left hand side menu of your "Content" screen click the "HTML Fragments" button to be taken to the "HTML Fragments" screen. This screen will list all of the HTML Fragments, if any, that you have previously created.
To create a new HTML Fragment:
- Click on the "Add New HTML Fragment" button at the top of the screen to go to the "Add HTML Fragment" form.
- In the "Description" box enter something descriptive like, "Google Adsense Code" so that you know what the HTML Fragment is for when you want to insert it on your page. This is just for your reference and will not appear on your site.
- Paste your HTML code into the large "HTML Code" box.
- Click the "Save HTML Fragment" button.
- You will be returned to the "HTML Fragments" screen where your new fragment will now be listed.
Placing HTML Fragments on your pages
Once you have created the HTML fragment, you will need to insert it onto the pages of your website where you would like the adverts to be displayed. To do this, take the following steps:
- Click "Content" on the top menu to be taken to your "Content" screen where all the pages of your site are listed.
- Click the "Edit Page" button next to the page upon which you would like to place an "HTML Fragment" and you will enter the page editor.
- Click the Add Block button in the bottom left-hand corner.
- From the drop-down menu, select Custom.
- You can then drag and drop the Custom Element content block onto the desired place on the page.
- Once the Custom Element block has been added to the page, you can click the + icon and use the drop-down menu to select the HTML fragment you created.
- A placeholder icon will be added to the page.
- Click Done and then save your changes.
You can now preview and/or publish your site to see the adverts. Please be aware that it can sometimes take a couple of hours before the adverts will actually appear.