Blog > How to Write the Perfect Blog Post
Posted By Poppy
A great blog post has the power to lift your brand and direct traffic to your website and online shop. But how do you know if your blog post is any good or not?
Read our 8 tips on how to write the perfect blog post:-
Choose a Topic
- Choose to write something that you feel confident about - your natural authority will show if you’ve done your research thoroughly.
- Narrow your focus! Your post must have a goal - what is it you want your audience to gain from reading it? Be specific while still considering what is relevant to a broad range of readers. For example, a cookery post called ‘10 amazingly tasty cakes to make on a budget’ would drive a lot more traffic than ‘How to make great cakes while saving money’. The first is clear and energetic - and much more appealing!
Tone of Voice
- Identify your target audience and imagine you're speaking to them directly - consider their age, gender, profession, location etc.
- Make your content personable and relatable - you want to engage and educate your reader without patronising them. Just imagine you’re having a chat with a friend.
- Don’t be afraid to engage emotionally with the reader. Blogs tend to be conversational and informal - don’t limit yourself and have fun with it!
- According to Moz.com, 80% of readers never make it beyond the title, so a captivating heading can make all the difference.
- Maximise potential exposure by using an SEO-friendly word combination while still using a short and snappy title to grab the reader’s attention. (Click here for more help on the basics of SEO).
- Using great keywords in your post title increases visibility through search engines, and generally increases your click-count.
Format / Layout
- Enormous chunks of solid text with too much information can be intimidating to a reader who’s just casually browsing the web. Make sure your paragraphs are short - ideally no more than two or three sentences long.
- Make sure your blog post is practically easy to read. Use a clear font size and make sure it's large enough (font size 12-16 is recommended for the web).Use subheadings and bullet points to divide information into easily-scannable sections - simplicity and clarity are key!
- Have a clear goal in mind - what will the audience gain from your post?Less is more - emphasize briefness and accessibility. Statistically readers only read 28% of the content and scan over the rest.
- Make your point - and be confident in it! Successful blog posts are not necessarily always ‘right’ - but they avoid being wishy washy. Don’t be afraid to inject your personality into the post!
- Be positive! Don’t make your post a negative place which talks down to the reader.Include real facts and figures to support your points - this grabs the reader’s attention and makes your ideas more credible.
Blog Post Conclusion
- Conclude your post with a snappy summary which gathers your points.
- Ask the reader a provocative question to leave them thinking.
- Add a friendly or encouraging element to leave the reader feeling like they've gained something positive from your post. A blog post on ‘The 10 best DIY Christmas presents’ might end with ‘your friends will be amazed by these awesome one-of-a-kind creations, so have a lovely Christmas with all the joys of giving and none of the guilt of overspending!’. This encourages readers to go out and try out your ideas.
- Always include something visual - an image or gif goes a long way to grab your reader’s attention and help split up the text. According to Inc.com, long posts with images receive up to 650% more engagement than text-only posts.
- Consider using colour which suits the mood of your post. But also ensure there is not too much that it distracts from the content - your writing is ultimately what matters! Don’t be tempted to include too many images that aren’t relevant or don’t add value to the text. A few carefully chosen images are better than lots of pretty but irrelevant ones!
- Use captions to connect the images to the content. One of the first things the reader will look at is the image. Persuade the uncommitted reader to engage with the article by making it intriguing.
- If you don't have time to take your own pics, you can save time and money using free stock photo sites. Check out this handy list of free image sites for inspiration
- A successful blog post is not just about the content. Orbit Media highlight that the top three ways bloggers successfully promote their posts are through social media marketing, search engine optimisation and email marketing.
- Your blog will thrive if you make it part of a general campaign across social media - include links to Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, Pinterest etc. to maximise exposure and generate more traffic. Get connected and show off your blog for the whole world to see!
Follow these tips and you are well on the way to an inspiring blog post that not only leaves your readers feeling like they’ve learned something, but boosts your traffic too. Good luck!