Blog > How To Measure Your SEO Success
Posted By Create
So you are ready to to get online! All those weeks of editing, getting your website in order and finalising your content have come together, and then in one click on the ‘Publish’ button you are off! What is the first thing you do? You proudly search for your website using a Search Engine and…
You can’t find it. Your website is not the top hit, it’s not even on the first page. How annoying! How are your customers supposed to find your website?
Well, Part Three of our ‘Introduction to SEO’ series aims to help point you in the right direction, and help maximise the free tools on offer to help make your business shine online.
Understanding your website's success with Google Analytics is crucial to your online business. Measuring visitor numbers, where they came from and how they're getting to your site all contributes to a broader understanding of your current and potential audience.
To access this information you will first need to sign up for free to Google Analytics.
Google Analytics is a hugely powerful tool that measures everything to do with visits to your website. Using the Dashboard you can check on some of the most important stats, such as visits and pageviews, top referrers and keywords and even visitor locations. It can help to improve your understanding of your website, allowing you to promote it efficiently and in the right ways.
You can do all of this from the comfort your customised Create Dashboard, if you wish! The Dashboard gives you an instant overview of site performance from within your Create account.
From these results you are able to track your visitors, either from your Dashboard or through your Google Anayltics account.
Webmasters - Google and Bing
Webmaster Tools from both Google and Bing are free services. They both help monitor and maintain your site's presence in search results. Although it is not necessary to sign up (your website will still be included in Search Results), by doing so it can help you understand how search engines view your site and optimise its performance in search results.
First you will need to sign up to Google Webmasters.
Google Webmasters tools will monitor your site's performance in Google Search results. They will, amongst other things, do the following:
• Make sure that Google can access your content
• Submit new content for crawling and remove content you don't want shown in search results
• Create and monitor content that delivers visually engaging search results
• Show specific queries that caused your site to appear in search results
• Show if some queries result in more traffic to your site than others
• Show if your product prices, company contact info, or events highlighted in rich search results
• Show the sites that are linking to your website
• Show whether your mobile site is performing well for visitors using a mobile device
First you will need to sign up to Bing Webmasters.
Like Google, Bing also offer a handy Webmaster tool that monitor your search results in Bing. By signing up with Bing;
• Your site will be listed with Bing, they provide the tools that help you get traffic to your website
• They provide you with reports that show how your customers found you site, what term did they search? What could you focus on to bring even more traffic.
• Recent changes in responsive templates have meant big shift for a lot of Create customers, this tool can scan and recommend areas of improvement (if there are any at al!)
• Bing can help you to understand what your customers are searching for, guiding you in the right direction to expand and increase your traffic
SEO can seem like a daunting task, but the results are worth it once you have put the time in. Both Google and Bing webmaster have extensive help sections, and as always your Create Account Manager will be on hand should you need any help!
In our next blog Tara will be showing you the added extras you can do to really make an impact with your SEO.